UN says accord reached on Syria chemical weapons
United Nations: The United Nations has said it reached an agreement with Syria on an inquiry into the use of chemical weapons, but did not say UN inspectors would be allowed in.
Two UN envoys went to Damascus on Tuesday and Wednesday and held talks with Syria`s deputy prime minister and foreign minister, read a brief UN statement.
"The discussions were thorough and productive and led to an agreement on the way forward," added the statement, without giving any other detail.
Ake Sellstrom, the chief inspector in the UN investigation team, and Angela Kane, the UN high representative for disarmament, were to report to UN leader Ban Ki-moon on the trip.
Ban has demanded widespread access to investigate all allegations of the use of chemical weapons in the 28-month-old conflict. Syria has insisted that the UN only investigate its claim that opposition rebels used chemical weapons in the town of Khan al-Assal on March 19.
The UN says it has received reports of 13 attacks in the conflict.
Britain, France and the United States say all the attacks were carried out by President Bashar al-Assad`s forces. Russia, Assad`s main ally, says its inquiry found opposition rebels used sarin gas in Khan al-Assal.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shocking: New ISIS video shows English-speaking boy beheading man
- Watch: Hafiz Saeed warns India of more terror attacks
- DNA: Army declares all soldiers in Siachen avalanche dead
- DNA: Indian Navy set to conduct International Fleet Review 2016
- Modi should not think of sending forces to fight ISIS: AIMIM chief Owaisi
- Ahead of 'Kashmir Solidarity Day', Hafiz Saeed's JuD releases controversial video featuring Pakistani Army chief
- `Jawaharlal Nehru awarded the man who stole Subhas Chandra Bose's INA treasure`
- Ten Army soldiers missing in Siachen avalanche presumed dead; PM Modi 'salutes' martyrs
- VIDEO: Ambidextrous Sri Lankan Kamindu Mendis bowling with both hands
- ‘Ghayal Once Again’ tweet review