UN says running out of food for Central Africa
United Nations: The United Nations said it is running out of food for the growing number of homeless in Central African Republic because of spreading unrest in the country.
The UN`s World Food Programme (WFP) yesterday said 38 trucks carrying rice are stuck at the Cameroon border and drivers were refusing to cross the frontier due to the threat of attacks.
"WFP cereal stocks are close to being exhausted and pulses too will soon run out," said a WFP statement.
"Suspending food distributions could lead to further tension, particularly among the 100,000 displaced people in the overcrowded Bangui airport camp," it added.
WFP regional director Denis Brown said the main road from Cameroon into Central African Republic, which has been in conflict for nearly a year, was a humanitarian "lifeline."
She said the agency was considering airlifting food to Bangui where more than 500,000 people are now said to be homeless.
The UN agency said it was concentrating current supplies on Bangui airport and had already cut rations to the northern town of Bossangoa.
"Deliveries to other locations cannot be carried out until trucks can drive safely along routes and their movement to Bangui is secured," said the statement.
Rebel forces ousted Central African Republic`s president in March last year, but an interim government lost control of the country. Rival Muslim and Christian militias are now battling each other and rogue checkpoints have been set up on nearly all main roads.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- More than 9 lakh people participated in the oath-taking ceremony of Donald Trump
- 7th Pay Commission: Central govt employees expect Committee on Allowances report in February
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog
- VIDEO: When helicopter shot came to haunt Team India and skipper MS Dhoni himself