UN Security Council eases Libya sanctions
United Nations: The UN Security Council Friday unanimously adopted a resolution to ease sanctions against Libya, and set up a UN mission to help restore security and initiate economic recovery in the North African country.
The new resolution decided to lift asset freeze against the Libyan National Oil Corporation and Zueitina Oil Company, and ease sanctions against the Central Bank of Libya, the Libyan Arab Foreign Bank, the Libyan Investment Authority and the Libyan Africa Investment Portfolio, Xinhua reported.
The Security Council underscored "the importance of making these assets available in a transparent and responsible manner in conformity with the needs and wishes of the Libyan people", the resolution said.
However, sanctions against ousted Libyan leader Muammar Gaddafi, his family members and close followers are still on, the resolution said.
The resolution was adopted after the UN General Assembly approved Libya`s National Transitional Council as the legitimate holder of the country`s UN seat.
In February, the 15-nation Security Council voted 15-0 to freeze the foreign assets of Gaddafi and his aides.
The Security Council also decided to set up a UN Support Mission in Libya (UNSMIL) "for an initial period of three months to restore public security and order and promote the rule of law in the warring country, undertake inclusive political dialogue, promote national reconciliation, and embark upon the constitution-making and electoral process, and "take the immediate steps required to initiate economic recovery," the resolution said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army 5th deadliest in the world: Report
- DNA: Analysis of public pulse through survey by Zee News on Bihar elections
- Hotels selling beef should be demolished: Azam Khan
- DNA: End of ISIS? Vladimir Putin to send 1,50,000 soldiers to Syria
- Dadri lynching: UP CM Akhilesh raises compensation to Rs 45 lakh
- Neither Dadri nor Babri: India is 'Muslim woman delivering 'Ganesha' inside temple'
- Hindu girl embraces Islam to marry Shahi Imam Bukhari's son?
- Pakistan take note! Indian military 5th deadliest in the world
- Lalu Prasad Yadav debuts on Dubsmash, mocks PM Narendra Modi – Watch video
- Sundar Raman, tainted IPL franchises face uncertain future