UN Security Council extends sanctions on Liberia
United Nations: The UN Security Council Tuesday extended by another year the sanctions on Liberia in connection with the country`s civil war.
In an adopted resolution, the council determined that despite significant progress the situation in Liberia remains fragile and continues to constitute a threat to international peace and security in the region, Xinhua reported.
Therefore, the 15-nation body renewed a set of sanctions on Liberia including its arm embargo and travel ban on individuals as well as the mandate of the panel of experts, for another 12 months, beginning Tuesday.
The council urged all states and the Liberian government to "cooperate fully" with the panel, which was first appointed by Secretary General Ban Ki-moon in July 2007 and is tasked with, among other things, conducting two follow-up assessment missions to Liberia and neighbouring states to investigate and compile a mid-term and a final report on the implementation, and any violations, of the sanctions.
The council called on all Liberian leaders to "promote meaningful reconciliation and inclusive dialogue to consolidate peace and advance Liberia`s democratic development."
It also urged the government to "expedite the adoption and implementation of appropriate legislation and take any other steps to establish the necessary legal framework to combat the illicit trafficking of arms and ammunition."
In the resolution, the council encouraged the international community, including relevant UN entities, to support the government of Liberia`s reform efforts aimed at ensuring that natural resources are contributing to peace, security and development.
The arms embargo and other sanctions were imposed by the Security Council more than a decade ago as a response to the continued civil war in Liberia, where warring parties were involved in illegal arms traffic and diamond trade.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know