UN Security Council extends sanctions on Liberia
United Nations: The UN Security Council Tuesday extended by another year the sanctions on Liberia in connection with the country`s civil war.
In an adopted resolution, the council determined that despite significant progress the situation in Liberia remains fragile and continues to constitute a threat to international peace and security in the region, Xinhua reported.
Therefore, the 15-nation body renewed a set of sanctions on Liberia including its arm embargo and travel ban on individuals as well as the mandate of the panel of experts, for another 12 months, beginning Tuesday.
The council urged all states and the Liberian government to "cooperate fully" with the panel, which was first appointed by Secretary General Ban Ki-moon in July 2007 and is tasked with, among other things, conducting two follow-up assessment missions to Liberia and neighbouring states to investigate and compile a mid-term and a final report on the implementation, and any violations, of the sanctions.
The council called on all Liberian leaders to "promote meaningful reconciliation and inclusive dialogue to consolidate peace and advance Liberia`s democratic development."
It also urged the government to "expedite the adoption and implementation of appropriate legislation and take any other steps to establish the necessary legal framework to combat the illicit trafficking of arms and ammunition."
In the resolution, the council encouraged the international community, including relevant UN entities, to support the government of Liberia`s reform efforts aimed at ensuring that natural resources are contributing to peace, security and development.
The arms embargo and other sanctions were imposed by the Security Council more than a decade ago as a response to the continued civil war in Liberia, where warring parties were involved in illegal arms traffic and diamond trade.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened