UN Security Council falls silent on Gaza fighting
United Nations: The UN Security Council is silent on Israel`s offensive in the Gaza Strip. A draft press statement circulated to the 15 members` capitals overnight seems to have failed to win the unanimous approval that would have led to its adoption.
The Security Council has no meetings set for today, a sign that the draft statement on the escalating violence in Gaza between Israel and Hamas is dead.
Russian Ambassador Vitaly Churkin yesterday said that the United States was "filibustering" the council.
US Ambassador Susan Rice yesterday said that the US and Egyptian governments were trying to broker a cease-fire.
Rice said, "We think it`s vitally important that this council, by its action, or non-action, is reinforcing the prospects for an agreed cessation" of hostilities.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- J Jayalalithaa passes away: Know what all she left behind in assets