UN Security Council falls silent on Gaza fighting
United Nations: The UN Security Council is silent on Israel`s offensive in the Gaza Strip. A draft press statement circulated to the 15 members` capitals overnight seems to have failed to win the unanimous approval that would have led to its adoption.
The Security Council has no meetings set for today, a sign that the draft statement on the escalating violence in Gaza between Israel and Hamas is dead.
Russian Ambassador Vitaly Churkin yesterday said that the United States was "filibustering" the council.
US Ambassador Susan Rice yesterday said that the US and Egyptian governments were trying to broker a cease-fire.
Rice said, "We think it`s vitally important that this council, by its action, or non-action, is reinforcing the prospects for an agreed cessation" of hostilities.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- CBI confirms Delhi health minister Satyendra Jain's indulgence in Hawala business
- Watch: CM Yogi Adityanath's first speech in UP Assembly house
- Should army take strict action against stone pelters of J&K?
- Etawah: UP cops caught drunk while on duty
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- The Kapil Sharma Show: No Sunday episode this weekend? Here’s why
- India vs Australia: Virat Kohli takes reconciliatory path, says his friendship comment was 'blown out of proportion'
- Sunil Grover joining AIB? Here’s the truth
- Reliance Jio closes in on 50 million paid users