UN seeks $60 mn for aid in Gaza
Geneva: The UN Relief and Works Agency for Palestine Refugees (UNRWA) has made a fund appeal for USD 60 million to respond to the immediate shelter, food, health needs of affected Palestinian families in Gaza.
"UNRWA urgently seeks USD 60 million to prepare for carrying out vital interventions that will be required immediately upon cessation of military activities," the UNRWA said on Thursday.
This appeal anticipated a one-month emergency response phase, and a three-to-six-month early recovery phase.
According to the UNRWA, more than 22,000 civilians have sought refuge in 24 designated emergency shelters (DES`s) in Gaza City and in Northern Gaza.
Based on previous experience, it is expected that this number will grow to 50,000 individuals.
On Wednesday, the highest number of child fatalities in a 24-hour period in the Gaza Strip was marked with 23 deaths.
The latest statistics from the UN agency showed that there were more evacuations from the north and northeastern Gaza, and a total of more than 22,000 people were now sheltering in 24 UNRWA installations.
The death toll in Gaza climbed to 234 people on Thursday since Israel started the Operation Protective Edge on July 08 in a bid to end rocket fire by the Islamist Hamas movement.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Siachen miracle: Lance Naik Koppad's wife terms her husband's 'news of being alive' as 'rebirth for family'
- Drunk girl creates ruckus in Delhi's Connaught Place; arrested - Watch
- JNU erupts over 'Shaheed Afzal Guru', 'Azad Kashmir'; rival student groups clash, police deployed
- WATCH: 'Sting videos of Kejriwal govt's minister Imran Hussain's staffer demanding bribe of Rs 25 lakh for his boss'
- Big clash of 2016: Aamir Khan's 'Dangal' head on with Prabhas and SS Rajamouli's 'Baahubali 2' at the Box Office?