UN seeks review of N Korea, Iran aid
Geneva: The head of the UN intellectual property agency says it has asked UN sanctions officials to review computer equipment it provided to Iran and North Korea.
Today`s statement from Francis Gurry comes days after the US House Foreign Affairs Committee demanded "unfettered access" to UN documents about the deal and the US State Department said it was reviewing the aid.
Gurry, the director general of the World Intellectual Property Organization, says the review request reflects "the utmost seriousness" with which the agency considers complaints about its assistance to two nations subject to UN sanctions.
Gurry says his agency had received legal advice that the aid didn`t contain the type of technology or training prohibited by the sanctions, but he vowed closer cooperation with UN sanctions officials going forward.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- BMC elections 2017: Who will be the Mayor of Mumbai?
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- World's heaviest woman loses 50 kilos in just 12 days