UN slams terrorist attack in Kenya
UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon condemned the terrorist attack on a bus in northern Kenya that left at least 28 people dead.
United Nations: UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon condemned the terrorist attack on a bus in northern Kenya that left at least 28 people dead.
"The secretary-general condemned the attack Saturday on a commuter bus in Mandera, Kenya," Xinhua reported citing a statement issued by Ban`s spokesman.
"The secretary-general pledges the continuing support of the UN to Kenya and the countries of the region in their multi-dimensional efforts to address the scourge of terrorism," the statement said.
Meanwhile, Ban also conveyed "his profound condolences to the families of the victims and expresses his solidarity with the people and the government of Kenya," the statement added.
Suspected Al-Shabaab militants attacked a bus early Saturday. The bus was travelling to the capital, Nairobi, when it was stopped in Mandera, not far from the Somali border.
A statement on a website linked to the Islamist group said that the Saturday attack was staged in retaliation for security raids on mosques in Kenya`s coastal city of Mombasa earlier this week, reports said.
Since Kenya sent troops across the border into Somalia in 2011, northern and parts of eastern Kenya have been hit by a series of blasts, with many targeting local security forces and humanitarian workers.