UN starts largest aid drop operation in Northern Iraq
London, The United Nations has started aid drops in Northern Iraq which is reportedly its largest aid operation for a decade as it targets at least 5,00,000 people.
A UN jet has arrived in Irbil with 100 tonnes of cooking equipments and tents, reports the BBC.
The UN said that there are more than 1.2 million people who have been displaced across the country.
Meanwhile, US continues airstrikes targeting Islamic State militants in Northern Iraq despite the beheading of an American journalist by IS militant that had come in response to airstrikes.
The number of US airstrikes has exceeded 90, said American officials.
United States asked the UN for extra security in Iraq that could include 300 troops, said a senior official.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- Swabhiman rally: About Bihar's development or Narendra Modi?
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'