UN Syria envoy still working on peace conference plan
Washington: UN peace envoy to Syria Lakhdar Brahimi has said that he was pressing on with plans for a conference aimed at ending the fighting, though no firm date is in sight.
"It is extremely difficult to bring people who have been killing one another for two years just by a magic wand to a conference like this. It will take time, but I hope it will happen," Brahimi told a handful of reporters on the sidelines of an event in Washington yesterday.
"There are still issues that have not been solved. We are hopeful. That`s all we can say."
The talks, dubbed Geneva 2, were initially planned for late May after the idea was first floated during a Moscow meeting between US Secretary of State John Kerry and his Russian counterpart Sergei Lavrov.
But amid difficulties on agreeing who should sit at the table, the calendar slipped into June, and then July, with the best estimates now hoping for a date in September.
There is also disagreement between the United States and Russia about whether Iran should attend the talks, which are aimed at bringing together the opposition and the Syrian regime to find a political solution to end a conflict that is now in its third year.
"The United Nations have made it very clear that we would like all countries... With interests and/or influence (to) attend Geneva, and that includes Iran," Brahimi told the reporters.
And amid debate in Washington about arming the Syrian opposition, Brahimi said the UN stand was also very clear.
"Arms do not make peace. We would like to see the delivery of arms stopped to all sides."
Another major problem is divisions between the Syrian opposition that is fighting to topple Syrian President Bashar al-Assad, Brahimi earlier told an audience gathered at the Carnegie Endowment for International Peace.
"The opposition is divided that`s no secret. They are trying to get their act together and work their way to being a truly representative organisation," he said.
But he sought to allay concerns that any transitional government in Syria could include Assad. The conflict has claimed more than 100,000 lives.
"The time for cosmetic change in Syria and elsewhere is past and people are demanding a transformation of their society."
He also took issue with perceptions that Assad seemed to be gaining the upper hand.
"Most people in November last year were convinced that the regime had lost ... I think that was not correct," he said.
"Now you have a lot of people saying that the regime is winning. The regime is doing much better than it did in November last year, that is true. But in situations like this winning and progress are two different things."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'