`UN team did not visit Iran`s nuclear sites`
Tehran: Visiting UN inspectors did not visit
any of the country`s nuclear sites, Iran`s official news agency has reported, concentrating instead on talks with
IRNA yesterday quoted an unnamed Iranian official as
saying the team of experts from the International Atomic
Energy Agency conducted negotiations with Iranians and did not
visit the sites where uranium is being enriched. He said the
talks were held in a "positive and constructive atmosphere."
The report did not elaborate. There was no comment from the UN
Tension has been building over Iran`s nuclear program.
The US and its allies charge that Iran is using its uranium
enrichment facilities to produce material for nuclear weapons.
Iran has declined to abandon its enrichment labs, saying it
seeks to operate the reactors only for energy and medical
purposes, not for making weapons.
The IAEA team arrived Sunday on a visit set for three
days. An Iranian official indicated it could be extended, but
a report from the semi-official Fars news agency Tuesday
indicated the talks were over.
Mohammad Karamirad, a member of the influential
parliamentary committee on national security and foreign
policy, told the Isna news agency yesterday that the visit by
the IAEA team showed Iran has had "comprehensive and honest
cooperation with the agency."
Karamirad said, "The visit can be beginning of new round
of talks with the West, and it proves the peacefulness of
Iran`s nuclear activities."
Iran has been trying to display cooperation with the team
and downplay expectations of a confrontational atmosphere
during the visit, which began Sunday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Are separatists scared with 'Dangal' girl Zaira Wasim's success?
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city