UN urges Lebanon election as soon as possible
United Nations: The UN Security Council is urging that Lebanon hold its presidential election "as soon as possible."
A statement issued Thursday by the council expresses disappointment that the election didn`t take place on time, and it calls on Parliament to "uphold Lebanon`s longstanding democratic tradition" and make sure the election occurs "without external interference."
Lebanon`s last president, Michel Suleiman, completed his six-year term on Sunday without a replacement, plunging the country into a political vacuum.
The Lebanese are deeply split over the civil war in neighboring Syria and have lined up behind opposing sides. Those deep divisions are one reason for the lack of agreement on a presidential candidate, whom must be decided on consensually.
UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon has urged Lebanon`s leaders to select a president "without delay."
- J&K: Teams named after militants in cricket tournament
- Laser walls activated along Indo-Pak border to keep vigil against terrorists
- Haji Ali Dargah row: Trupti Desai wants support of Aamir, Salman, SRK
- ISRO successfully launches IRNSS-1G into the orbit
- IRNSS-1G launch: It's a great gift to people of India from scientists, says PM Modi
- AgustaWestland VVIP chopper scam: SC to hear plea next week on FIR against 'bribe-takers'
- Wow! KFC India to replace plastic packaging with edible bowls!
- UN blacklists Indian-flagged cargo vessel carrying Libyan oil
- One minute of intense exercise can help you stay fit!
- Don't refer Bhagat Singh, Chandra Shekhar Azad as terrorists: HRD Ministry to DU