UN urges Lebanon election as soon as possible
United Nations: The UN Security Council is urging that Lebanon hold its presidential election "as soon as possible."
A statement issued Thursday by the council expresses disappointment that the election didn`t take place on time, and it calls on Parliament to "uphold Lebanon`s longstanding democratic tradition" and make sure the election occurs "without external interference."
Lebanon`s last president, Michel Suleiman, completed his six-year term on Sunday without a replacement, plunging the country into a political vacuum.
The Lebanese are deeply split over the civil war in neighboring Syria and have lined up behind opposing sides. Those deep divisions are one reason for the lack of agreement on a presidential candidate, whom must be decided on consensually.
UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon has urged Lebanon`s leaders to select a president "without delay."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video