UN urges Lebanon election as soon as possible
United Nations: The UN Security Council is urging that Lebanon hold its presidential election "as soon as possible."
A statement issued Thursday by the council expresses disappointment that the election didn`t take place on time, and it calls on Parliament to "uphold Lebanon`s longstanding democratic tradition" and make sure the election occurs "without external interference."
Lebanon`s last president, Michel Suleiman, completed his six-year term on Sunday without a replacement, plunging the country into a political vacuum.
The Lebanese are deeply split over the civil war in neighboring Syria and have lined up behind opposing sides. Those deep divisions are one reason for the lack of agreement on a presidential candidate, whom must be decided on consensually.
UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon has urged Lebanon`s leaders to select a president "without delay."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of problems of unemployement in India
- DNA: Analysis of how car makers are playing with people's life
- DNA: Analysis of increasing trade of terror, laudanum and fake currency in Malda
- DNA: Analysis of increasing trade of terror, laudanum and fake currency in Malda- Part II
- DNA: A plane landed at -100 degree celsius to rescue a worker
- Sterling, stocks skid as Brexit result agonisingly close
- REVEALED: Anil Kumble's first message to India captains Mahendra Singh Dhoni, Virat Kohli after appointment
- 'Mirzya' trailer alert! Harshvardhan Kapoor spells enchanting cast in a splendid tale by Rakeysh Omprakash Mehra
- RSS chief Mohan Bhagwat to share dais with Leonardo DiCaprio in UK: Reports
- Oops! Salman Khan mocks Hollywood return Priyanka Chopra and Deepika Padukone, but WHY?