UN urges probe into Egypt protest killings
Geneva: The UN human rights chief called
on Wednesday for an independent probe into the killing of
demonstrators by Egypt`s military and security forces.
"I urge the Egyptian authorities to end the clearly
excessive use of force against protesters in Tahrir Square and
elsewhere in the country, including the apparent improper use
of tear gas, rubber bullets and live ammunition," said Navi
Pillay, UN High Commissioner for Human Rights.
"Some of the images coming out of Tahrir, including the
brutal beating of already subdued protesters, are deeply
shocking, as are the reports of unarmed protesters being shot
in the head," she said.
"There should be a prompt, impartial and independent
investigation, and accountability for those found responsible
for the abuses that have taken place should be ensured," the
UN rights chief added.
Pillay also castigated the military and security forces
for their actions which "simply served to inflame the
situation," instead of calming the crowds.
Thousands of people rallied again Wednesday in Tahrir
Square demanding an end to military rule, despite a promise by
Egypt`s interim leader to transfer power to an elected
president by mid-2012.
According to the health ministry, 31 people have been
killed since Saturday -- 28 in Tahrir -- when the security
forces first resorted to tear gas, rubber bullets and birdshot
in a bid to break up the demonstrations.
Pillay reiterated her concerns at attempts by the
authorities to curb civil society activities.
It is "imperative that the Egyptian authorities ensure
the respect of freedom of expression, assembly and
association, and of the press" during the electoral process,
"The Egyptian authorities have an obligation to provide
protection for all and ensure a peaceful and safe environment
in the lead-up to next week`s crucial elections," the UN High
"The people of Egypt deserve to exercise their right to
vote in the country`s first elections since the departure of
former president Mubarak in a violence-free environment," she
The latest mass protests resulted in the resignation of
the cabinet on Monday, just a week before crucial legislative
polls, the first since Hosni Mubarak was ousted.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Islamic State attracts young recruits with free honeymoon, stipend for family
- MSBSHSE Class XII HSC results 2015: Maharashtra Class 12th Board results declared on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation