Underwear fugitive back behind bars in Japan
Tokyo: A man who fled prison in just his
underwear in Japan`s first jailbreak for more than 20 years
was back behind bars today, police said.
The escape of Chinese national Li Guolin had led
television news bulletins for much of Thursday in a country
where crime is low but fear of criminals is widespread.
His recapture on Friday just two kilometres from the
Hiroshima prison where he scaled a five-metre fence merited a
news flash on national broadcasts.
Police said Li, 40, was captured on the street near an
elementary school after being approached by an officer
patrolling the area. He offered no resistance.
He fled Wednesday during exercise time at the prison,
where he was in his fourth year of a 23-year prison term for
attempted murder and theft.
In his two days of freedom Li is believed to have
broken into a nearby house to steal clothes, drink beer and
More than 500 police took part in the manhunt, with
officers posted outside schools and worried residents telling
reporters they would be locking their doors early.
Chief Cabinet Secretary Osamu Fujimura said the
government was sorry for the security lapse.
"We apologise for troubling the area`s residents. We
will thoroughly review the case to prevent a similar
incident," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Mau
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- WATCH: MS Dhoni rips apart bowlers to smash brilliant 129-run knock in Vijay Hazare Trophy