Underwear fugitive back behind bars in Japan
Tokyo: A man who fled prison in just his
underwear in Japan`s first jailbreak for more than 20 years
was back behind bars today, police said.
The escape of Chinese national Li Guolin had led
television news bulletins for much of Thursday in a country
where crime is low but fear of criminals is widespread.
His recapture on Friday just two kilometres from the
Hiroshima prison where he scaled a five-metre fence merited a
news flash on national broadcasts.
Police said Li, 40, was captured on the street near an
elementary school after being approached by an officer
patrolling the area. He offered no resistance.
He fled Wednesday during exercise time at the prison,
where he was in his fourth year of a 23-year prison term for
attempted murder and theft.
In his two days of freedom Li is believed to have
broken into a nearby house to steal clothes, drink beer and
More than 500 police took part in the manhunt, with
officers posted outside schools and worried residents telling
reporters they would be locking their doors early.
Chief Cabinet Secretary Osamu Fujimura said the
government was sorry for the security lapse.
"We apologise for troubling the area`s residents. We
will thoroughly review the case to prevent a similar
incident," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Know the significance of Devshayani Ekadashi
- Punjab: Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Gurdaspur
- Punjab: Gurdaspur gunbattle ends, all terrorists killed
- Grief stricken people shout slogans as Kalam's body carried out of hospital
- Mumbai blasts case: Maharashtra govt opposes Yakub Memon's mercy plea in SC
- Politicos mourn death of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, hail him as 'Missile Man of India'
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- FORMER PRESIDENT OF INDIA APJ ABDUL KALAM PASSES AWAY
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Punjab's Gurdaspur; 3 killed