Underwear fugitive back behind bars in Japan
Tokyo: A man who fled prison in just his
underwear in Japan`s first jailbreak for more than 20 years
was back behind bars today, police said.
The escape of Chinese national Li Guolin had led
television news bulletins for much of Thursday in a country
where crime is low but fear of criminals is widespread.
His recapture on Friday just two kilometres from the
Hiroshima prison where he scaled a five-metre fence merited a
news flash on national broadcasts.
Police said Li, 40, was captured on the street near an
elementary school after being approached by an officer
patrolling the area. He offered no resistance.
He fled Wednesday during exercise time at the prison,
where he was in his fourth year of a 23-year prison term for
attempted murder and theft.
In his two days of freedom Li is believed to have
broken into a nearby house to steal clothes, drink beer and
More than 500 police took part in the manhunt, with
officers posted outside schools and worried residents telling
reporters they would be locking their doors early.
Chief Cabinet Secretary Osamu Fujimura said the
government was sorry for the security lapse.
"We apologise for troubling the area`s residents. We
will thoroughly review the case to prevent a similar
incident," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- Fiji: Floating island restaurant in middle of ocean
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day