UNESCO pleads with US to reinstate funding
Paris: The head of UNESCO is pleading with the US to reinstate funding cut off after the agency granted membership to Palestine.
Director-General Irina Bokova warned in a statement on Wednesday that the move jeopardises programs "in America`s core interests”, such as those fostering a free media in nascent Mideast democracies.
She said that without US support, "it will be impossible for us to maintain our current level of activity”.
On Monday, the members of the UN Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organisation voted to welcome Palestine.
The United States typically funds about 20 percent of the agency`s budget, but American law bars contributions to organisations that grant membership to territories that are not internationally recognised as states.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sonakshi Sinha silences Twitter troll for calling her ugly and it's epic!
- Furkan, not Tiger Memon, arrested in Pakistan
- Sheena Bora murder case: Peter Mukerjea's statement recorded, police search his Worli residence
- Modi effect! Pakistan-occupied Kashmir wants to be part of India
- Rafiabad encounter ends with one terrorist dead; an Army jawan also martyred