UNESCO pleads with US to reinstate funding
Paris: The head of UNESCO is pleading with the US to reinstate funding cut off after the agency granted membership to Palestine.
Director-General Irina Bokova warned in a statement on Wednesday that the move jeopardises programs "in America`s core interests”, such as those fostering a free media in nascent Mideast democracies.
She said that without US support, "it will be impossible for us to maintain our current level of activity”.
On Monday, the members of the UN Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organisation voted to welcome Palestine.
The United States typically funds about 20 percent of the agency`s budget, but American law bars contributions to organisations that grant membership to territories that are not internationally recognised as states.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India
- Failed to secure confirmed reservation in train? Now you can travel in pantry car!
- Europe to 'free up space' by kicking out tens of thousands of Pakistanis