UNESCO pleads with US to reinstate funding
Paris: The head of UNESCO is pleading with the US to reinstate funding cut off after the agency granted membership to Palestine.
Director-General Irina Bokova warned in a statement on Wednesday that the move jeopardises programs "in America`s core interests”, such as those fostering a free media in nascent Mideast democracies.
She said that without US support, "it will be impossible for us to maintain our current level of activity”.
On Monday, the members of the UN Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organisation voted to welcome Palestine.
The United States typically funds about 20 percent of the agency`s budget, but American law bars contributions to organisations that grant membership to territories that are not internationally recognised as states.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- To Sir with Love: School kids pay tribute to Dr Kalam
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- Ready to see Shah Rukh-Salman together on-screen?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- New SC bench to hear 1993 Mumbai bomb blasts convict Yakub Memon's plea on Wednesday