UNESCO pleads with US to reinstate funding
Paris: The head of UNESCO is pleading with the US to reinstate funding cut off after the agency granted membership to Palestine.
Director-General Irina Bokova warned in a statement on Wednesday that the move jeopardises programs "in America`s core interests”, such as those fostering a free media in nascent Mideast democracies.
She said that without US support, "it will be impossible for us to maintain our current level of activity”.
On Monday, the members of the UN Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organisation voted to welcome Palestine.
The United States typically funds about 20 percent of the agency`s budget, but American law bars contributions to organisations that grant membership to territories that are not internationally recognised as states.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- Solapur Municipal Corporation, Congress bastion, wrested by BJP