UNESCO pleads with US to reinstate funding
Paris: The head of UNESCO is pleading with the US to reinstate funding cut off after the agency granted membership to Palestine.
Director-General Irina Bokova warned in a statement on Wednesday that the move jeopardises programs "in America`s core interests”, such as those fostering a free media in nascent Mideast democracies.
She said that without US support, "it will be impossible for us to maintain our current level of activity”.
On Monday, the members of the UN Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organisation voted to welcome Palestine.
The United States typically funds about 20 percent of the agency`s budget, but American law bars contributions to organisations that grant membership to territories that are not internationally recognised as states.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Know how much sex is enough for happiness
- Swaragini: Ragini gets caught in her own trap; Swara slaps her
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Shah Rukh Khan tweets about new ‘Dilwale’ song
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed