UNESCO won`t take on new projects this year
Paris: UNESCO says it will not take on any new projects between now and the end of the year after the US pulled its contributions from the UN cultural agency to protest its acceptance of Palestine as a member.
An official at the agency said Thursday that all programs already committed to will be carried out. The official spoke on condition of anonymity because of the sensitivity of the matter.
In a dramatic vote last month, Palestine won full membership at the agency, leading the United States and Canada to pull funding. Washington typically provides one-fifth of the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization`s annual budget.
On Wednesday, Director-General Irina Bokova set out a series of proposals to raise more money for the organization.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Nawaz Sharif's dream of making Kashmir a terror hell will never come true, says Sushma Swaraj
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop good communication skills for a successful life?
- Curfew lifted from 4 districts of Kashmir valley
- Recently launched Pokemon Go gaining extreme popularity among users
- Rajnath Singh meets J&K CM Mehbooba Mufti to discuss current situation in valley
- Tour de France 2016: Chris Froome on brink of 3rd title as Ion Izaguirre wins penultimate stage
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar monitors search operations but no sign of missing IAF plane
- President Mukherjee, PM Modi condemns suicide attack in Kabul
- In-form Indian women hockey team beats Canada 3-1
- 'Corporate governance reforms to promote sustainability'