UNESCO won`t take on new projects this year
Paris: UNESCO says it will not take on any new projects between now and the end of the year after the US pulled its contributions from the UN cultural agency to protest its acceptance of Palestine as a member.
An official at the agency said Thursday that all programs already committed to will be carried out. The official spoke on condition of anonymity because of the sensitivity of the matter.
In a dramatic vote last month, Palestine won full membership at the agency, leading the United States and Canada to pull funding. Washington typically provides one-fifth of the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization`s annual budget.
On Wednesday, Director-General Irina Bokova set out a series of proposals to raise more money for the organization.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Exclusive: Prakash Javadekar's views on issue of climate change before UN summit
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list
- Intolerance issue: Aamir Khan's remarks 'innocent', says Rajkumar Hirani
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- PM Modi leaves for Paris to take part in Climate Conference