UNHCR launches humanitarian aid programme in Iraq
Geneva: The United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) Tuesday launched a major humanitarian aid scheme for Iraq`s nearly half a million internally displaced people.
Adrian Edwards, spokesman of the UNHCR, told a press conference that the air, road and sea operation, due to start Wednesday, will begin with a four-day airlift using Boeing 747s from Aqaba in Jordan to Erbil in northern Iraq, Xinhua reported.
The agency will also send road convoys from Turkey and Jordan, and sea and land shipments from Dubai via Iran over the next 10 days.
The initial aid shipments included 3,300 tents, 20,000 plastic sheets, 18,500 kitchen sets, and 16,500 jerry cans, said Edwards.
The major focus of the aid operation was to improve living conditions for the displaced in the region, particularly people without shelter or housing, the UN agency said.
Some 200,000 Iraqi people have made their way to Iraqi`s Kurdistan since early August, when the city of Sinjar and neighbouring areas were seized by armed groups, according to the UNHCR.
The Islamic State militants in past few weeks have stormed towns in the northern part of the country.
Thousands of civilians - many of them from the ethnic Yazidi minority - are trapped in the Sinjar mountains where they took shelter and are in desperate need of humanitarian assistance after fleeing attacks.
According to the the agency`s estimate, in all there are more than 1.2 million internally displaced people in Iraq, including an estimated 700,000 in the Kurdistan region which already hosts some 225,000 Syrian refugees.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dadri lynching: Is Kejriwal spreading poison between Hindus and Muslims?
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- Why did Indrani Mukerjea attempt suicide?
- Dadri lynching: Locals stop Arvind Kejriwal from entering Bisara village
- Muslims asked to sprinkle cow urine on body in order to be part of Garba festivities
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Salman Khan’s ‘Prem Ratan Dhan Payo’ trailer creates a record!
- Indrani Mukerjea's FSL report rules out drug overdose, says no chemicals found in stomach wash
- Muslims banned from Garba in Gujarat's Mandvi; Hindus asked to sprinkle cow urine on themselves