UNIFIL condemns firing of rockets into Israel from Lebanon
Beirut: The United Nations Interim Forces in Lebanon (UNIFIL) said Friday`s launching of three rockets into northern Israel from Lebanon is a serious violation of UN Security Council Resolution 1701 and clearly aims at destabilising the situation in the region.
Paolo Serra, Commander General of the UNIFIL, in a statement on Saturday called for "restraint in the face of all kinds of provocation" by the two neighbours, Xinhua reported.
"The situation has been contained and calm prevailed and all the concerned parties have confirmed their commitment to the resolution 1701," Serra added.
On Friday, two Katyusha type rockets were fired on northern Israel from the outskirts of Lebanon`s southern town of Mari in Hasbaya.
The Israeli Army responded by firing artillery at the source of the launched rocket.
No casualties have been recorded so far by the two parties and no one has claimed responsibility for the incident.
Serra appreciated the quick response of the Lebanese armed forces to prevent any escalation.
The Lebanese authorities on Friday said that they arrested two fundamentalists involved in the attack.
Resolution 1701, approved by the UN Security Council in 2006, was intended to resolve the Israel-Lebanon conflict.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Maysore Maharaja Yaduveer ties knot with princess Trishika of Dungarpur
- India becomes full member of Missile Technology Control Regime
- Singapore Airlines plane catches fire at Changi Airport
- Govt's insensitivity towards Pampore terror attack martyrs leaves nation stunned
- Mysore Maharaja Yaduveer Wadiar ties knot with princess Trishika Singh of Dungarpur, Rajasthan
- Brexit will greatly weaken EU, says European Commission Vice-President Maros Sefcovic
- SHOCKING! This model ran sex racket under guise of production house in Mumbai's Versova, arrested
- 'BJP will retain power at Centre in 2019 Lok Sabha elections'
- Theatre doyen Kavalam Narayana Panicker passes away; he was 88
- AugustaWestland VVIP chopper scam: None will be spared, asserts Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar