UN`s Ban condemns Ukraine`s `excessive force`
United Nations: United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon on Wednesday urged Ukrainian authorities to "desist from the use of excessive force" after fierce clashes with anti-government protesters left at least 26 people dead.
A crackdown by security forces on Tuesday triggered a storm of international condemnation, in Ukraine`s worst crisis since the collapse of the Soviet Union.
Ban was following developments in Ukraine "with increasing alarm," his spokesman Martin Nesirky said in a statement.
"He urges an immediate end to the violence in the strongest terms and again stresses that resorting to such measures by any side is totally unacceptable.
"The secretary-general equally urges the government to desist from the use of excessive force, underscoring the need for the authorities to abide by international human rights norms."
Ban called for dialogue between the Ukrainian government and demonstrators, who hit the streets in November after President Viktor Yanukovych rejected an EU pact in favour of closer ties with former master Moscow.
"He appeals to the Ukrainian authorities to act decisively in brokering a peaceful end to the crisis in a way that is in keeping with the demands and the aspirations of the Ukrainian people," the statement added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why do politicians show concern about Dalits during elections only?
- Why do politicians show concern about Dalits during elections only? Part II
- Why do politicians show concern about Dalits during elections only? Part III
- Why do politicians show concern about Dalits during elections only? Part IV
- Rajinikanth's 'Kabali' releases early morning at 6 am in Mumbai!
- Bhagwant Mann posts video of security pickets on way to Parliament; MPs attack AAP lawmaker
- Mario Goetze returns home: Germany's World Cup hero leaves Bayern Munich for Borussia Dortmund
- 43 civilians dead in bombardment of Syria rebel-held areas: Report
- Rain, traffic jam and kisses - This couple hogged the limelight on Delhi road: Watch
- England vs Pakistan, 2nd Test: Axe for Steven Finn, Jake Ball as hosts seek to level series