UN`s Ban urges Lebanon Army to back president
United Nations: UN leader Ban Ki-moon has appealed to Lebanon`s armed forces to remain loyal to President Michel Sleiman as sectarian tensions fuelled by the Syrian conflict mounted.
Ban is following events in Lebanon with "deep concern," said UN deputy spokesman Eduardo del Buey yesterday after 16 Lebanese troops were killed as they battled followers of a radical Sunni Muslim sheikh for two days.
"He condemns the attacks on the Lebanese Armed Forces, which have led to serious losses in the army," said del Buey.
Ban "stresses that all in Lebanon should fully respect the authority of the state and its institutions under the leadership of President Sleiman, in particular the Lebanese Armed Forces whose role is essential to protect all Lebanese."
With Lebanon facing increasing pressure from Syrian refugees and growing tensions between the Sunni and Shiite communities, the UN said "the international community remains united in its support for Lebanon`s sovereignty, security and stability."
"The secretary general reminds all concerned in Lebanon of their responsibility to avoid conflict and uphold the principles of mutual respect and coexistence in order to preserve Lebanon`s national unity."
Sleiman has called on the powerful Shiite group Hezbollah to end its role in the Syria war. Hezbollah has taken the side of President Bashar al-Assad and played a key role in taking the town of Qusayr.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: President confers Khel Ratna to PV Sindhu, Sakshi, Dipa and Jitu Rai
- Panel discussion on Mahesh Sharma's controversial safety guidelines for women tourists
- Panel discussion on Mahesh Sharma's controversial safety guidelines for tourist women - Part II
- DNA: Importance of viewers' comments and remarks on reported news
- DNA: Has PM Modi's mention of Balochistan during I-Day speech unsettled China?
- India's economy never been in stronger position than today: Parekh
- HP's privacy screen secures notebooks from visual hacking
- PV Sindhu, Sakshi Malik, Dipa Karmakar, Jitu Rai receive Khel Ratna award
- Significance of why Lord Shiva wears tiger skin! Read more
- Katrina Kaif, Sidharth Malhotra rock 'Baar Baar Dekho' promotions—Watch video!