UNSC calls for end to fighting in South Sudan
United Nations: UN Security Council (UNSC) Friday renewed its call on all parties in South Sudan to commence a broader dialogue to end the violence in country.
Fighting erupted between government and opposition forces nearly a month ago.
In a press statement, the council members underlined their demand for President Salva Kiir, former Vice President Riek Machar and other political leaders to "demonstrate leadership by immediately agreeing to a cessation of hostilities and commencing a broader dialogue", Xinhua reported.
They urged Machar to move forward and agree to a cessation of hostilities without precondition, and requested the government of the world`s youngest country, in particular President Kiir, to release all political leaders, detained to create an environment conducive to a successful dialogue.
The council members also demanded an immediate end to all human rights violations and abuses and stressed that those responsible will be held accountable, according to the statement.
"The members of the Security Council also strongly discouraged external intervention that could exacerbate the military and political tensions," said the statement.
Fighting erupted in South Sudan, which only gained independence in 2011 after seceding from Sudan, Dec 15 when Kiir said soldiers loyal to Machar, dismissed last July, reportedly launched an attempted coup.
UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA) confirmed that at least 231,000 people have fled their homes since the fighting began, with nearly 43,000 South Sudanese seeking refuge in neighbouring countries, mainly Uganda.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Para SF of Indian Army - The specialised combat force!
- Haryana Minister Anil Vij takes back his insulting comments against Gandhi
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Assembly elections: BJP likely to announce its first list of candidates for UP, Uttarakhand
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre