UNSC calls for halt to violence in Gaza
New York, Dec 28: The UN Security Council (UNSC) on Sunday called for an immediate halt to all violence in Gaza after a day of Israeli air strikes in response to rocket and mortar fire by Gaza militants against Israel.
"The members of the Security Council expressed serious concern at the escalation of the situation in Gaza and called for an immediate halt to all violence," said a statement read to reporters by Croatian Ambassador Neven Jurica, President of the UNSC.
"The members called on the parties to stop immediately all military activities."
Meanwhile, in an unusually sharp criticism of Israel, the UN General Assembly President Miguel d`Escoto described its deadly air strikes on Gaza Strip as commission of "wanton aggression by a very powerful state" and said the world body needs to take a firm action if it does not want to be "rightly accused of complicity by omission”.
"I call on all Member States, as well as officials and every relevant organ of the United Nations system, to move expeditiously not only to condemn Israel`s serious violations, but to develop new approaches to providing real protection for the Palestinian people," he said.
The violations, the UNGA President said, include collective punishment of the entire 1.5 million people for action of a few militants, targeting civilians and disproportionate military response.
Earlier, Saudi King Abdullah had telephoned US President George W Bush after a meeting with Palestinian President Mahmud Abbas in Riyadh. According to the Saudi state news agency SPA, King said that major countries must take action to halt Israel`s attacks on Gaza.
In the meantime, White House spokesman Gordon Johndroe said that the King had called Bush, who was preparing to usher in 2009 on his Texas ranch, to discuss "the Middle East" and had declined to offer further details.
But SPA reported that King Abdullah yesterday discussed "the Israeli aggression against Gaza" and the "implications of continuing Israel`s policies of blockade, occupation and torture against the Palestinian people all over the Occupied Territories."
US Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice states that Washington "strongly condemns the repeated rocket and mortar attacks against Israel and holds Hamas responsible for breaking the ceasefire and for the renewal of violence in Gaza."
Meanwhile, Brooke Anderson, chief national security spokesperson for Barack Obama, said that the President-elect is "monitoring" the deadly violence in the Gaza strip while he is on vacation in Hawaii. She, however, emphasised that "there is one President at a time," a statement Obama has said often since he was elected on November 04.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BCCI announces Team India squad for Bangladesh tour
- Sudha Shivpuri aka 'Baa' of 'Kyuki Saas Bhi Kabhi Bahu Thi' dies
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- Kejriwal accuses Centre of trying to rule Delhi through LG
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- Expect that Rahul will be Congress president in 2015: Jairam Ramesh
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- IPL 2015: Rajasthan Royals vs Royal Challengers Bangalore - As it happened...
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'
- Bihar Intermediate Result 2015 declared