UNSC condemns rebel attacks in Congo
United Nations: The UN Security Council, whose presidency for this month is being held by India, has strongly condemned attacks by the M23 rebel group in the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC), RIA Novosti reported.
"The members of the Security Council strongly condemn the resumption of attacks by the M23 and demand their immediate cessation," read a statement by India`s Ambassador to the UN Hardeep Singh Puri.
The statement was adopted following a closed-door meeting at which members were briefed on the latest developments by Herve Ladsous, the Under-Secretary-General for Peacekeeping Operations.
The Council also urged M23 rebels to stop their advance towards provincial capital Goma, according to the BBC, and said outside support for the rebels should end.
The rebels Saturday seized the town of Kibumba, around 30 km from Goma, capital of North Kivu province bordering Rwanda. The Congolese armed forces retreated as the rebels were armed with heavy weapons and supported by Rwandan troops, the BBC quoted North Kivu Governor Julien Paluku as saying.
The M23 "launched attacks in Kibumba, Mboga and Ruhondo hills in the province of North Kivu using heavy weapons", the UN said citing a press release by the UN Organization Stabilization Mission in DRC (Monusco).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajinikanth's 'Kabali' releases early morning at 6 am in Mumbai!
- Jharkhand: Zee Media honors ten environmentalists with Green Warrior Award
- DNA: Why nationalist reporting trigger protest in Gurez valley?
- DNA: Why nationalist reporting trigger protest in Gurez valley? - Part II
- DNA: Why nationalist reporting trigger protest in Gurez valley? - Part III
- Gujarat Dalit protest: After Rahul, Kejriwal to visit violence-hit Una today
- PM Narendra Modi to lay foundation stone of AIIMS in Gorakhpur today
- Rajya Sabha to vote on bill seeking 'special status' for Andhra Pradesh today
- 'Bunty Chor' - Delhi's high-end car thief arrested; BMW, Toyota Fortuner recovered
- Mayawati slur: Dayashankar Singh may surrender today; wife alleges harassment by BSP goons