UNSC reform is `too long overdue`: Ban
United Nations: The UN Security Council
reform, being debated since two decades, is "too long overdue"
and the necessary expansion must be made considering how much
the world has changed, UN chief Ban-Ki-moon said on Wednesday.
Ban was elected this week to serve for a second term
as the UN Secretary General.
"It has been too long overdue," Ban told journalists
on the issue of UNSC reforms.
"Just consider how much world has changed. And there
should be necessary expansion or whatever changes in the
Security Council," he added.
The 15-member council currently has five permanent
members -- China, France, Russia, the UK and the US -- and 10
India, which is currently serving a two-year term as a
non-permanent member, has been pushing for a seat in an
expanded Security Council.
In February, External Affairs Minister S M Krishna
came to the UN to push the reform agenda along with the other
G4 nations -- Brazil, Germany and Japan ? that are also
bidding for a permanent seat in an expanded Council.
In May, president of the General Assembly Joseph Deiss
said that the UN would lose its "credibility" if the Security
Council was not reformed quickly.
The UN chief, however, noted that the past three years
had seen "accelerated pace" among member-states who are now
negotiation from a text.
"This will continue... I hope there will be some good
progress," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Mau
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- WATCH: MS Dhoni rips apart bowlers to smash brilliant 129-run knock in Vijay Hazare Trophy