`UNSC should seek end to Syria violence`
New York: United Nations Security
Council should support a resolution demanding an end to the
Syrian government`s crackdown on pro-democracy protests in the
country in which more than 1,000 have been killed, a human
rights group said on Saturday.
According to the UN Office of the High Commissioner
for Human Rights (OHCHR), "non-governmental organizations and
others are now reporting that the number of men, women and
children killed since the protests began in March has exceeded
1,100, with up to 10,000 or more detained."
"The Security Council`s complete silence in the face
of mass atrocities against the people of Syria is emboldening
the Syrian government in its bloody crackdown,` said Philippe
Bolopion, UN director at Human Rights Watch.
"A veto by Russia and China to protect the Syrian
government and block efforts to stop the killings would be a
serious betrayal of Syria`s beleaguered citizens."
Despite the efforts of Syrian authorities to prevent
access to the country, Human Rights Watch researchers have
conducted dozens of interviews inside Syria and established
that Syrian security forces have killed hundreds of protesters
and arbitrarily arrested thousands, many of whom, including
children, have been beaten and tortured, a statement said.
The systematic and deliberate nature and scale of the
government`s abuses in the Daraa governorate, where at least
418 people have been killed and many others tortured,
including children, suggest that they qualify as crimes
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- DNA: Should strict action be taken against stone pelters of J&K?
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Chinese national insults Indian flag, throws it in dustbin outside Noida Oppo office; massive protest takes place
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- Gautam Gambhir gives Aussies perfect send-off, says true champions let their game do all the talking!
- Here's why Donald Trump called PM Narendra Modi