Up to 1 million flee Ivory Coast violence: UN
Abidjan (Ivory Coast): With possessions
balanced on their heads, about 1,000 people frantically
crowded around buses rented by Mali to evacuate its citizens
of Friday from Ivory Coast, as the UN said up to 1 million have
fled their homes amid fears of civil war.
More than 2 million Malians live in neighboring Ivory
Coast, and human rights groups say the foreigners are facing
growing threats of violence as the Ivorian political crisis
intensifies. Evacuation efforts have been hampered by a lack
of buses so far.
"700 today, 700 tomorrow. Everyone who wants to leave
will be able to as long as I`m here," said Hamet Diawara,
president of the council of Malians in Ivory Coast.
Incumbent leader Laurent Gbagbo has refused to cede office
despite his rival Alassane Ouattara being recognized by the
international community as the rightful winner of November`s
Pro-Gbagbo forces have attacked foreigners from the
region whose countries have supported Ouattara.
At least 33 citizens of Burkina Faso have been killed
while another 35 are missing, said Albert Ouedraogo, the
chairman of the Tocsin, the main diaspora association, from
the Burkinabe capital.
"We`re afraid. Everyone`s leaving," said Abdias Goita, a
father of two who sat patiently in the shade next to the
Malian buses. "My brother had his door broken down by
pro-Gbagbo militias. He gave them all the money he had about
200,000 francs (USD 430) but they slit his throat anyway."
Armed youth manning makeshift roadblocks have sprung up
around the city. Activists accuse them of stopping and
searching all cars, sometimes beating and killing those with
"I`m of Malian origin, but I was born here," said one
woman, who asked not to be named for fear of reprisals. "Now,
because of the election ... we are forced to leave, to leave
the place where we were born and where we grew up."
The United Nations said today that up to 1 million people
have fled their homes to safer areas.
"The massive displacement in Abidjan and elsewhere is
being fueled by fears of all-out war," Melissa Fleming,
spokeswoman for the UN High Commissioner for Refugees, told
reporters in Geneva.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- TERI panel finds RK Pachauri guilty in sexual harassment case
- Rajasthan: High Court raps Chief Secy, DGP for failing to end Gujjar agitation
- Erstwhile Mysuru kingdom gets new king
- Priyanka, Ranveer talk about their film 'Dil Dhadakne Do'
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi
- Meet 92-year-old Phyllis Sues who dances toTango
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result to be declared on May 29
- Gujarat Board Results 2015: Gujarat Board HSC class 12th science results to be declared today at 9 AM on gseb.org
- CBSE (cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in) Class 10th (X Board) Result 2015 declared
- Watch: Dance guru Prabhudheva's mind-blowing act in 'Happy Hour' from 'ABCD2'!