Upgraded tanks arrive in Canada
Ottawa: Canadian Defence Minister Peter MacKay has announced the arrival of upgraded Leopard 2A4 tanks from the Royal Netherlands Army.
The tanks were purchased five years ago as part of a CAD 650 million (about USD 670 million) tank-replacement project.
A total of 42 Leopard 2A4s, which were upgraded from their earlier Dutch version, will be delivered to the Canadian Army by the end of next year, reported Xinhua.
Five are already being used for training at Canadian Forces Base Gagetown in the eastern province of New Brunswick.
"Our government`s procurement of this impressive platform will ensure the Canadian forces have the capability they need to support future operations," said MacKay.
The tank-replacement project is part of a comprehensive 20-year Canada First Defence Strategy to bolster the Canadian military`s equipment and personnel.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- Pierce Brosnan 'deeply shocked and saddened' because of Pan Masala brand ad
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you