Upgraded tanks arrive in Canada
Ottawa: Canadian Defence Minister Peter MacKay has announced the arrival of upgraded Leopard 2A4 tanks from the Royal Netherlands Army.
The tanks were purchased five years ago as part of a CAD 650 million (about USD 670 million) tank-replacement project.
A total of 42 Leopard 2A4s, which were upgraded from their earlier Dutch version, will be delivered to the Canadian Army by the end of next year, reported Xinhua.
Five are already being used for training at Canadian Forces Base Gagetown in the eastern province of New Brunswick.
"Our government`s procurement of this impressive platform will ensure the Canadian forces have the capability they need to support future operations," said MacKay.
The tank-replacement project is part of a comprehensive 20-year Canada First Defence Strategy to bolster the Canadian military`s equipment and personnel.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rahul Gandhi takes U-turn, says never blamed RSS for Gandhi's assassination
- Secret documents on Indian Navy's Scorpene-class submarine leaked
- PM Modi's photos, Indian flags raised during massive protests in Balochistan
- Did India become victim of Scorpene submarine conspiracy?
- Did India become victim of Scorpene submarine conspiracy? Part II
- After 22 months, NASA regains contact with sun-watching STEREO-B spacecraft!
- Parents, beware: Your lack of involvement might be making your child obese!
- Finance Minister Arun Jaitley to inaugurate BRICS meet on arbitration
- Raveena Tandon 'honoured' to receive award from Dharmendra
- Earthquake in Delhi is trending – Here's why