Upgraded tanks arrive in Canada
Ottawa: Canadian Defence Minister Peter MacKay has announced the arrival of upgraded Leopard 2A4 tanks from the Royal Netherlands Army.
The tanks were purchased five years ago as part of a CAD 650 million (about USD 670 million) tank-replacement project.
A total of 42 Leopard 2A4s, which were upgraded from their earlier Dutch version, will be delivered to the Canadian Army by the end of next year, reported Xinhua.
Five are already being used for training at Canadian Forces Base Gagetown in the eastern province of New Brunswick.
"Our government`s procurement of this impressive platform will ensure the Canadian forces have the capability they need to support future operations," said MacKay.
The tank-replacement project is part of a comprehensive 20-year Canada First Defence Strategy to bolster the Canadian military`s equipment and personnel.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Watch: ISIS terrorist blown into pieces while bragging about his previous victory
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living