Uranium enrichment by Iran is violation of intl obligation: US
Washington: The Obama administration has said any attempt by Iran to further enrich uranium to 20 percent is a violation of international obligation.
"We believe that any step to further enrich uranium to 20 percent is a violation of their obligations under a number of UN Security Council resolutions," Assistant Secretary of State for Public Affairs, PJ Crowley, said.
"We think that they should come back and constructively engage in a process where we would help them provide whatever their needs are within a civilian nuclear programme, while reassuring the international community about their intentions regarding their overall nuclear ambitions," Crowley told reporters at his daily press briefing.
"These ongoing statements and ongoing actions are counterproductive and they really call into question whether Iranian claims that their intentions are peaceful are, in fact, true," he said.
Referring to Iran`s Thursday decision to ban protests, he termed it as draconian steps. "I think what you saw yesterday (Thursday) was Draconian steps by the Iranian Government to suppress the people of Iran and their ability to assemble freely and to voice their concerns about their own government and its actions," Crowley said.
"We think these are universal rights and it`s important for the Iranian people to continue to have the ability to communicate, to network, to use technology to hold their government to account. And ultimately, the government has to serve the needs of its people and the interests of its people," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read