Uranium enrichment by Iran is violation of intl obligation: US
Washington: The Obama administration has said any attempt by Iran to further enrich uranium to 20 percent is a violation of international obligation.
"We believe that any step to further enrich uranium to 20 percent is a violation of their obligations under a number of UN Security Council resolutions," Assistant Secretary of State for Public Affairs, PJ Crowley, said.
"We think that they should come back and constructively engage in a process where we would help them provide whatever their needs are within a civilian nuclear programme, while reassuring the international community about their intentions regarding their overall nuclear ambitions," Crowley told reporters at his daily press briefing.
"These ongoing statements and ongoing actions are counterproductive and they really call into question whether Iranian claims that their intentions are peaceful are, in fact, true," he said.
Referring to Iran`s Thursday decision to ban protests, he termed it as draconian steps. "I think what you saw yesterday (Thursday) was Draconian steps by the Iranian Government to suppress the people of Iran and their ability to assemble freely and to voice their concerns about their own government and its actions," Crowley said.
"We think these are universal rights and it`s important for the Iranian people to continue to have the ability to communicate, to network, to use technology to hold their government to account. And ultimately, the government has to serve the needs of its people and the interests of its people," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- Salman, Aamir, Shah Rukh in a film together?
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi