Uranium enrichment inalienable right: Iran
Tehran: Iran`s uranium enrichment activities is an inalienable right endorsed by the Nuclear Non- Proliferation Treaty (NPT) of which the Islamic republic is a signatory country, Iranian government said Sunday.
"Iran`s enrichment right does not need recognition (by the powers), because it is an indispensable right based on the NPT. What we expect is respecting this right," reported Xinhua citing Foreign Minister Mohammad-Javad Zarif.
"Iran has practised its uranium enrichment rights over the past years," he said, adding this right has not been respected and sanctions have been imposed against the country.
Zarif said the world powers need to lift sanctions against Iran and respect the country`s rights.
"We believe that Iran`s enrichment right is non-negotiable and there is no necessity to recognize it as a right, because it is an inseparable right which should be respected by all sides."
The Iranian foreign minister`s remarks came a few days ahead of fresh round of talks between Iran and world major powers.
Iran and six world powers held talks earlier this month in a bid to reach a preliminary agreement on Iran`s nuclear programme. While the talks fell apart, a second round is slated for next Wednesday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read