Uruguay recognises Palestine statehood
Montevideo: Uruguay has joined a string of South American nations in recognising an independent
A Foreign Ministry statement says Uruguay has
communicated its decision to the Palestinian Authority.
However, the statement does not explicitly say whether
the country recognises Palestine`s borders predating the
Six-Day War of 1967, when Israel captured the West Bank and
Gaza. Foreign Ministry officials declined to clarify the matter.
More than a half-dozen countries in South America have
recognised Palestine recently, though in different ways.
Argentina, Bolivia, Brazil, Ecuador and Paraguay
recognised the pre-1967 borders. Chile and Peru said the issue
must be worked out between Israelis and Palestinians.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Robert Vadra explains Facebook post, denies insulting Parliament
- Shashi Tharoor condems Yakub Memon's hanging
- Exclusive interview with Usman Majid, MLA, J&K Congress
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez