US: 13 dead after truck crashes in Texas
Houston: At least 13 people, including two young children, were killed and 10 others injured after the packed truck they were travelling in crashed into two large trees in rural South Texas, US authorities said on Monday.
The accident took place on Sunday when the driver of a Ford F-250 super-duty pick-up carrying 23 people veered off the highway near the unincorporated community of Berclair and rammed into two trees, Gerald Bryant, a spokesman for the Texas Department of Public Safety, said.
"There were multiple occupants in the front of the cab portion and multiple occupants in the bed of the pick-up truck," Lt Glen Garrett of the state Dept of Public Safety told CNN.
"It`s been very chaotic here, and it`s very traumatic," Houston Chronicle quoted Bryant as saying.
At least six of the victims were airlifted to hospitals, he said, adding the survivors had life threatening injuries.
The incident halted traffic on US 59 north-south highway in the area north of Berclair, which is located 161 km southeast of San Antonio, between Beeville and Goliad.
An investigation is on to ascertain the cause of the crash and it will take two days to determine, Byrant said.
The truck is registered in the name of an owner in Houston, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
More from Health
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa suffers cardiac arrest; being monitored
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- Jayalalithaa's health condition: Amma critical, nation's political fraternity expresses concern - Who said what
- Jayalalithaa's health condition: AIADMK member from Cuddalore dies after seeing news about Tamil Nadu CM's cardiac arrest