US: 2 men arrested in Seattle terror plot
Seattle: Agents arrested two men in a terror plot sting after one of them arrived in Seattle from Los Angeles intent on attacking a military recruiting station to “wake the Muslims up’’ to defending their religion from US actions abroad, authorities said on Thursday.
Abu Khalid Abdul-Latif, also known as Joseph Anthony Davis, of Seattle, and Walli Mujahidh, also known as Frederick Domingue Jr, of Los Angeles, were arrested on Wednesday night after they arrived at a warehouse to pick up machine guns to use in the attack, an FBI agent wrote in a criminal complaint.
The men could face life in prison if convicted.
The Homeland Security Department said in a May 31 assessment with other organisations that it did not think it likely there would be coordinated terrorist attacks against military recruiting and National Guard facilities.
The agencies agreed, however, that lone offenders or groups would continue to try to launch attacks against these facilities.
“Our review of attempted attacks during the past two years suggests that lone offenders currently present the greatest threat,’’ said the assessment.
Recently, inciters of terrorism have encouraged their followers to focus on simple attacks.
Authorities learned of the Seattle plot early this month when a third person recruited to participate alerted the Seattle Police Department, the complaint said.
Investigators immediately began monitoring the men, and the confidential informant continued to string them along, promising to obtain weapons.
The building, the Military Entrance Processing Station on East Marginal Way in Seattle, also houses a day care facility. Recruits for all military branches are screened there.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- DNA: 1965 Indo-Pak war- Analysis of India's victory and exposing Pakistan's lies
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Dawood, Hafiz Saeed to be in fix as US, India may join hands to nab them
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter