US: 3 relatives of killed Tibetan activist resume walk
Orlando: A brother and two young sons of the Dalai Lama`s nephew on Wednesday resumed his walk for Tibetan freedom, a trek that cost the activist his life in a roadside accident.
Jigme Norbu, 45, was struck and killed on February 14 by an SUV about 25 miles south of St Augustine, authorities said. The accident occurred on the first day of Norbu`s planned 300-mile walk to West Palm Beach to raise awareness about Tibet.
Kunga Norbu and Norbu`s eldest sons, 13-year-old Tenzin and 9-year-old Jensen, began on Wednesday from Fort Pierce near Florida`s Atlantic coast. Joined by a group of about one or two dozen others, they planned to walk about 20 miles a day until they reached West Palm Beach on Friday.
A memorial service was planned for Saturday at a West Palm Beach garden.
"I wanted to finish this dream since I know my brother very well. He would not want us to sit around and mope," said Kunga Norbu before the start of the walk. "He is the type of person who would want us to go out and finish this walk and stay strong and be strong."
The group planned to carry signs and wear T-shirts about Tibet along the trek.
All told, Jigme Norbu had completed at least 21 walks and bike rides, logging more than 7,800 miles in the US and overseas to support freedom for Tibet and highlight the suffering of its people. He completed his most recent 300-mile trek in December in Taiwan.
He lived in Bloomington, where his father had been a professor at Indiana University and he owned a restaurant that served Tibetan and Indian cuisine.
Police have called Norbu`s death an accident and say they don`t expect charges. Norbu was walking along an unlit stretch of roadway after sunset in an area known for accidents.
Despite the accident, the walk for Tibet continued along Florida`s coast last week, through this week, and had about 20 participants on Wednesday, said Donna Kim-Brand, a walk organiser.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre