US: 40-yr-old charged for attacks on temple, mosque
New York: A 40-year-old man from Queens near here has been charged with hate crime for throwing firebombs at four locations across the city, including a Hindu temple and mosque, on New Year`s day this year.
An indictment unsealed today in Brooklyn federal court charges Ray Lazier Lengend, also known as `Suraj Poonai`, with hate crimes and explosives offenses stemming from his racially and religiously motivated fire-bombings of the Imam Al-Khoei Foundation mosque and a Hindu temple housed in a private residence in Queens on January 1, 2012, US Attorney for the Eastern District of New York Loretta Lynch said in a statement here.
Lengend is also charged with an explosives offense in connection with his fire-bombing of a convenience store in Queens. He will be arraigned on March 26 before US Magistrate Judge Ramon Reyes.
If convicted Lengend faces a minimum sentence of 20 years` imprisonment and a maximum sentence of life.
Lengend`s fire-bombing spree began on the evening of January 1 when he threw a flaming bottle filled with gasoline at a local convenience store.
A store employee extinguished the flames and no one was hurt in the incident.
Lengend`s next target was a private residence, which caught fire when he hurled molotov cocktails at the building. He later went to the Imam Al-Khoei Foundation mosque, where he threw glass bottles containing gasoline at the building with the goal of inflicting damage on the mosque and harming Muslims and Arabs.
Lengend`s final fire-bombing in Queens targeted the Hindu temple, located inside the residence of the temple’s leader.
Lengend was arrested within two days of the attacks.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- Note ban: One month on, long queues continue at banks, ATMs
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Virat Kohli makes fun of Alastair Cook after England exhaust both DRS wrongly, watch video