US: 40-yr-old charged for attacks on temple, mosque
New York: A 40-year-old man from Queens near here has been charged with hate crime for throwing firebombs at four locations across the city, including a Hindu temple and mosque, on New Year`s day this year.
An indictment unsealed today in Brooklyn federal court charges Ray Lazier Lengend, also known as `Suraj Poonai`, with hate crimes and explosives offenses stemming from his racially and religiously motivated fire-bombings of the Imam Al-Khoei Foundation mosque and a Hindu temple housed in a private residence in Queens on January 1, 2012, US Attorney for the Eastern District of New York Loretta Lynch said in a statement here.
Lengend is also charged with an explosives offense in connection with his fire-bombing of a convenience store in Queens. He will be arraigned on March 26 before US Magistrate Judge Ramon Reyes.
If convicted Lengend faces a minimum sentence of 20 years` imprisonment and a maximum sentence of life.
Lengend`s fire-bombing spree began on the evening of January 1 when he threw a flaming bottle filled with gasoline at a local convenience store.
A store employee extinguished the flames and no one was hurt in the incident.
Lengend`s next target was a private residence, which caught fire when he hurled molotov cocktails at the building. He later went to the Imam Al-Khoei Foundation mosque, where he threw glass bottles containing gasoline at the building with the goal of inflicting damage on the mosque and harming Muslims and Arabs.
Lengend`s final fire-bombing in Queens targeted the Hindu temple, located inside the residence of the temple’s leader.
Lengend was arrested within two days of the attacks.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Panel discussion over why SP government is backing Gayatri Prajapati
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!
- Virat Kohli becomes first Indian sportsperson to sign Rs 100-crore endorsement deal