US: 5-year-old boy shoots, kills 7-year-old girl
New York: In yet another shooting incident in the US involving children, a five-year-old boy accidentally shot and killed a seven-year-old girl while playing at a birthday party.
The tragic incident took place at a home in Gaston, South Carolina, when the boy was looking in the trunk of a car for a toy gun and instead picked up a real loaded gun belonging to his mother`s boyfriend.
The gun went off and police said the bullet passed through the car and hit the girl in the chest. Fragments from the shot hit another 5-year-old boy in the arm.
Both injured children were taken to a local hospital, where the girl was declared dead. The boy`s injury is not life-threatening, police said.
The victim has been identified as Juliet Lynch.
"They took somebody from me that was so precious. That little girl came in my room, always slept with her momma, she loved me and I loved her," Lynch`s mother was quoted as saying by WLTX-TV.
Lexington County Sheriff James Metts said the five-year-old boy`s mother gave him permission to get his toy gun out of the trunk of her boyfriend`s car -- not knowing there was a loaded gun inside as well.
"When he was fooling around trying to get his toy gun out, he accidentally pulled the trigger of the real gun while it
was in the trunk," said Metts.
Sheriff Metts said the gun should not have been loaded and said a gun lock could have been used.
This is the latest incident involving children who accidentally shoot someone or die of a self-inflicted gunshot wound.
Earlier this month, a two-year-old boy accidentally shot and killed his 11-year-old sister while playing with a handgun in Philadelphia.
In October last year, a babysitter in Vidor, Texas, was charged after a five-year-old toddler she was looking after fatally shot himself with her gun.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- Fiji: Floating island restaurant in middle of ocean
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened