US: 5.6 magnitude quake rattles Oklahoma
Washington: A rare 5.6 earthquake considered
to be the strongest on record in the area shook the central US
state of Oklahoma, reportedly causing significant damage.
After initially putting the magnitude of the last night
temblor at 5.2, the US Geological Survey revised the strength
of the seismic event, the second of the day, saying it had
reached magnitude 5.6. The first 4.7-magnitude jolt was
reported north of the town of Prague yesterday.
The epicentre of the tremor, which occurred at 10:53 pm
local time (0923 IST today), was located just six kilometres
east of the town of Sparks at a depth of five kilometres.
KJRH television said the Lincoln County Emergency
Management agency was reporting significant damage, but
offered no details.
The readings were based on the open-ended Moment
Magnitude scale, now used by US seismologists, which measures
the area of the fault that ruptured and the total energy
The Oklahoman newspaper said the quake was felt as far as
"The picture by the TV fell off the wall and we jumped up
because we thought somebody had hit the house," the paper
quoted Oklahoma City resident Noeh Morales as saying. "It was
like a roaring noise. I`ve never heard one that bad over
Oklahoma City is located 72 kilometres from the epicenter of the quake.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video