US: 5.6 magnitude quake rattles Oklahoma
Washington: A rare 5.6 earthquake considered
to be the strongest on record in the area shook the central US
state of Oklahoma, reportedly causing significant damage.
After initially putting the magnitude of the last night
temblor at 5.2, the US Geological Survey revised the strength
of the seismic event, the second of the day, saying it had
reached magnitude 5.6. The first 4.7-magnitude jolt was
reported north of the town of Prague yesterday.
The epicentre of the tremor, which occurred at 10:53 pm
local time (0923 IST today), was located just six kilometres
east of the town of Sparks at a depth of five kilometres.
KJRH television said the Lincoln County Emergency
Management agency was reporting significant damage, but
offered no details.
The readings were based on the open-ended Moment
Magnitude scale, now used by US seismologists, which measures
the area of the fault that ruptured and the total energy
The Oklahoman newspaper said the quake was felt as far as
"The picture by the TV fell off the wall and we jumped up
because we thought somebody had hit the house," the paper
quoted Oklahoma City resident Noeh Morales as saying. "It was
like a roaring noise. I`ve never heard one that bad over
Oklahoma City is located 72 kilometres from the epicenter of the quake.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- CM Yogi’s cleanliness drive: UP cops clean up police stations
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM