US: 6 charged in NY with smuggling drugs in candy
New York: Authorities say a lost-luggage delivery driver ran an Ecuador-to-New York drug smuggling ring that stuffed cocaine into pastries and hid heroin in chocolate candies.
Jorge Guerrero, his wife and four others pleaded not guilty to conspiracy and other charges yesterday in a Manhattan court.
The city Special Narcotics Prosecutor`s office and US Immigration and Customs Enforcement announced the arrests.
They say the 39-year-old Guerrero and the others arranged to ship innocent-looking but drug-laden packages on cargo planes.
They went from Guayaquil, Ecuador, to New York`s Kennedy Airport.
Authorities say the packages went to various parcel-delivery companies, where the conspirators picked them up.
Guerrero also is charged with using his luggage-delivery job to steal jewellery and other valuables from passengers` bags.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- J Jayalalithaa passes away: Know what all she left behind in assets