US: 67 years later, WWII veteran gets 9 medals
Springfield (Pennsylvania): An 86-year-old military veteran from suburban Philadelphia has belatedly received several medals earned for his service in World War II.
The Bronze Star and Purple Heart were among the nine medals awarded to Montraville "Monty" Lybrand yesterday.
The presentation took place in the Springfield office of Rep. Patrick Meehan, who helped secure the honors. Meehan says many veterans didn`t get the recognition they deserved in the rush to come home.
Lybrand left his Philadelphia high school to join the Army in 1944. As an infantryman, he suffered shrapnel wounds to his chest during the 1945 invasion of Okinawa.
After the war, Lybrand got married and began working for the Veterans Administration in Philadelphia as a claims examiner. He retired in 1981.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Here's what Islamic State captors told Indian teachers
- Pakistan releases 163 Indian fishermen as goodwill gesture
- Drishyam earns Rs 17 cr in 2 days, Bajrangi clocks Rs 283 cr
- Washington Mayor calls Michelle Obama 'gorilla face', says 'she is attractive only to monkey man Barack'
- Two Indians freed from ISIS captivity in Libya to head home, fate of other two unknown