US: 7-language campaign to educate S Asian voters
Washington: A coalition of South Asian community organisations has launched a national, non-partisan campaign called South Asian Vote! in seven South Asian languages to engage the community in the November 06 US elections.
South Asian Americans Leading Together (SAALT) said it is doing this through several strategies including distribution of voter education materials in Bengali, Gujurati, Hindi, Nepali, Punjabi, Tamil and Urdu.
The material covers Know Your Rights, How to Get Involved, and the Election Process; voter outreach and voter registration by civic leaders throughout the country; and election monitoring and protection for language access.
"Are You Ready To Vote?" is a checklist is for US citizens, who will be at least 18 years old by election day, and have met their state`s residency requirements for voting to make sure they are ready exercise their fundamental right to vote.
"A Guide To The Presidential Elections" shows how an individual`s vote counts, it says.
"By deciding who should represent you and your community in local, state and federal government, your vote can help shape the policies and laws that affect the daily lives of all Americans," the guide tells the community.
"Unfortunately, in past elections, many South Asians have faced challenges at the polls due to voter intimidation and suppression and have encountered difficulties in casting their ballot due to language barriers," SAALT said.
Noting that "As a result, many have felt discouraged from participating in the electoral process," it said a guide titled `Know Your Rights On Election Day` answers frequently asked questions about protecting one`s right to vote on election day and where to turn if they feel their rights are violated.
"As we approach the 2012 Elections, it is important for everyone, citizen or not, to become involved in the civic and political process in the US," SAALT said suggesting ten ways members of the community can make a difference in the 2012 elections!
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read