US, a beacon of hope for people across the globe: Obama
Washington: The US is not only the greatest nation in the world but also beacon of hope to the people across the globe who cherish the ideals of liberty and opportunity, President Barack Obama said on Thursday as Americans celebrated the 237th independence day.
"On July 4th, 1776, a small band of patriots declared that we were a people created equal - free to think and worship and live as we please. It was a declaration heard around the world - that we were no longer colonists, we were Americans, and our destiny would not be determined for us; it would be determined by us," Obama said in his address to the nation on occasion of America`s independence day.
Obama remembered people who laid their lives to achieve independence.
"And now, 237 years later, the United States - this improbable nation - is the greatest in the world. A land of liberty and opportunity. A global defender of peace and freedom. A beacon of hope to people everywhere who cherish those ideals," Obama said in his radio address to the nation.
"Generations of Americans made our country what it is today - farmers and teachers, engineers and labourers, entrepreneurs and elected leaders - people from all walks of life, from all parts of the world, all pulling in the same direction," he said.
"And now we, the people, must make their task our own - to live up to the words of that Declaration of Independence, and secure liberty and opportunity for our own children, and for future generations," said the US President.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Watch: Sushma Swaraj addresses the UN General Assembly
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB 4G mobile services at 1 GB price