US a ‘parasite’ on the world economy: Putin
Seliger: The US spends beyond its means and "lives like a parasite off the global economy", Russian Prime Minister Vladimir Putin said Monday.
US President Barack Obama said earlier in the day he had reached a deal with Republican and Democratic leaders to raise the nation`s debt ceiling by at least USD 2.1 trillion and avoid a default.
Speaking at a Russian political youth camp, Putin said the US exists to build up its debt by relying on credit.
"It lives beyond its means, taxing the global economy with its problems and living like a parasite off the global economy and the monopoly of the dollar," he said.
At the same time, the Russian head of government admitted that in the present day situation the US took a "balanced" decision as a possible default would also have affected the global economy, which would have been "no good at all", he concluded.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Delhi HC backs LG, turns down plea challenging Jung's authority
- WB Class 12 (HS) Result 2015 declared on wbresults.nic.in, wbchse.nic.in
- No radioactive leak at IGI airport, say AERB and Delhi govt
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result to be declared on May 29