US accusations meaningless: Iran supreme leader
Tehran: Iran`s Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei said on Saturday the US accusations that two Iranians had planned to assassinate the Saudi Arabian ambassador to Washington were "meaningless”, state TV reported.
"A meaningless and nonsensical accusation has been raised against a few Iranians in America, which was made into an excuse to present the Islamic Republic as a supporter of terrorism," Khamenei told a crowd in the western province of Kermanshah.
"But it has not stuck and it will not stick," he said, adding, "They (United States) say that they want to isolate Iran. They are the ones who are isolated."
On Friday, Iran denied the US claim of having direct contact with it over the alleged plot to assassinate the Saudi ambassador to Washington.
"No direct talks have been held between the two countries" over the alleged plot, the press officer of Iran`s Representative Office to the UN, Alireza Miryousofi, told the semi-official Mehr news agency.
On Thursday, US State Department spokeswoman Victoria Nuland said at a regular news briefing on Thursday. "We have had direct contact with Iran on this issue".
On Tuesday, the US Justice Department alleged that two men, Manssor Arbabsayar, a 56-year-old US citizen holding both the Iranian and US passports, and Gholam Shakuri, an Iranian citizen, were charged with sponsoring and promoting terrorist activities abroad, including a plot to kill Saudi Ambassador to Washington Adel Al-Jubeir.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Admissions 2015: Know India's best ranking Universities
- Yasin Bhatkal calls wife from Hyderabad jail, talks of 'help from Damascus'
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with UPSC topper Ira Singhal's family
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions
- Five guerrillas, one soldier killed near LoC
- 3rd Test, Day 2: Sri Lanka rattle Pakistan in decider
- Indian Mujahideen chief Yasin Bhatkal indicates Islamic State will help him get out of jail soon
- Missing UK schoolgirls seen carrying Kalashnikov rifle in ISIS's Raqqa?