US accusations meaningless: Iran supreme leader
Tehran: Iran`s Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei said on Saturday the US accusations that two Iranians had planned to assassinate the Saudi Arabian ambassador to Washington were "meaningless”, state TV reported.
"A meaningless and nonsensical accusation has been raised against a few Iranians in America, which was made into an excuse to present the Islamic Republic as a supporter of terrorism," Khamenei told a crowd in the western province of Kermanshah.
"But it has not stuck and it will not stick," he said, adding, "They (United States) say that they want to isolate Iran. They are the ones who are isolated."
On Friday, Iran denied the US claim of having direct contact with it over the alleged plot to assassinate the Saudi ambassador to Washington.
"No direct talks have been held between the two countries" over the alleged plot, the press officer of Iran`s Representative Office to the UN, Alireza Miryousofi, told the semi-official Mehr news agency.
On Thursday, US State Department spokeswoman Victoria Nuland said at a regular news briefing on Thursday. "We have had direct contact with Iran on this issue".
On Tuesday, the US Justice Department alleged that two men, Manssor Arbabsayar, a 56-year-old US citizen holding both the Iranian and US passports, and Gholam Shakuri, an Iranian citizen, were charged with sponsoring and promoting terrorist activities abroad, including a plot to kill Saudi Ambassador to Washington Adel Al-Jubeir.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ceasefire violations by Pak: Should India carry out surgical strike part-II?
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, asked to leave India
- Panel discussion on the need of Pakistan's ambassador in India
- Meet Lynlee Hope - Texas baby who was 'born' twice!
- Intelligence agencies warn of firing by Pakistan along LoC, international border
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- Diwali 2016: Dhanteras Puja timings, Tithi and Vidhi
- Pakistan declares Indian High Commission official persona non grata, asks him to leave country
- UPA govt thought of attacking Lashkar HQ, training camps after 26/11 strike, claims ex-NSA Shivshankar Menon