US activists mark July 4 with NSA surveillance rallies
Washington: Thousands of activists across the United States took to the streets and the Internet to mark July 04 with protests against the National Security Agency`s surveillance programs.
The protests, organised by the "Restore the Fourth" movement, were intended to raise "awareness of and spur political action against unconstitutional spying by the US government", organisers said.
The NSA`s surveillance methods have been in the spotlight ever since former contractor Edward Snowden leaked details of agency programs to collect Internet and phone data.
The Restore the Fourth campaign, organised via the social network Reddit, has received support from various web platforms including Mozilla and campaigners for online freedom such as the Electronic Frontier Foundation.
Its name refers to the Fourth Amendment of the US Constitution, which protects against unlawful searches and seizures.
Scattered small-scale protests took place in cities across the United States on Thursday, including Philadelphia, Boston, New York, Chicago and San Francisco.
Around 200-300 people gathered in a square near the White House in Washington, DC, some brandishing placards reading "Don`t steal my rights to privacy!"
"These programs are wrong, far too sweeping, dangerous, it matters that we not let this kind of thing go unopposed," protestor Thomas Nephew told a news agency.
"The Fourth of July is about more than having fun, it`s about thinking about the risks people took to ensure their freedoms two hundred and something years ago, and that what we are doing again now."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- Zee Media exclusive interview with victim of Uber molestation
- Maggi samples found unsafe: Delhi government
- DNA: Analysis of Vijay Mallya's 'fund transfer formula'
- IMD forecasts 'deficient' Monsoon, drought-like conditions expected
- Was asked to call Sunanda Pushkar’s death `natural`: AIIMS doctor
- Maggi row: Delhi registers case against Nestle, Kerala withdraws stock from govt stores
- Rahul Gandhi hails BR Ambedkar, takes potshot at Modi-led NDA govt over IIT Madras row
- From being the ‘Dabangg’ girl to ‘Akira’ - Sonakshi Sinha’s journey so far
- China ship carrying 458 on board sinks in Yangtze River: Five dead, hundreds missing