US adds suspected al Qaeda militant to terror blacklist
The US added Yemeni Fahd Mohammed Ahmed Al-Quso, a presumed al Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula militant, to a terrorist blacklist.
Washington: The United States on Wednesday added
Yemeni Fahd Mohammed Ahmed Al-Quso, a presumed al Qaeda in the
Arabian Peninsula militant, to a terrorist blacklist.
Quso, who was jailed for five years in Yemen for the
2000 USS Cole bombing, was also added to a United Nations
sanctions blacklist of individuals linked to al Qaeda and the
Taliban, the US State Department said.
"These actions will help stem the flow of finances to,
and inhibit the travel of, this dangerous operative," it said
in a statement.
"Today`s joint designation by the United States and
the United Nations alerts the public that Fahd al-Quso is
actively engaged in terrorism," US Ambassador for Counter
terrorism Daniel Benjamin said in a statement.
"These actions expose and isolate individuals like
al-Quso and results in denial of access to the global
financial system," he said.
His designation as a terrorist under Executive Order
13224 "blocks all al-Quso`s property interests subject to US
jurisdiction and prohibits US persons from engaging in
transactions for the benefit of al-Quso," the State Department
His presence on the UN blacklist "requires all UN
member states to implement an assets freeze, a travel ban, and
an arms embargo against this individual," the State Department
Seventeen US sailors were killed in the bombing of the
Cole in the Yemeni port of Aden. Jailed in Yemen from 2002 to
2007, Quso is suspected of then having joined Al-Qaeda in the
He appears in a May 2010 video by the group where he
threatens to attack US territory and embassies.
At the end of last year, he was added to the Federal
Bureau of Investigation`s list of most wanted terrorists.
In October, the BBC reported the possibility that he
had been killed in a US drone strike in North Waziristan, a
lawless tribal area of Pakistan.