US aircraft carrier Nimitz makes port call at Yokosuka base
Yokosuka: The US nuclear-powered aircraft carrier Nimitz made a port call at the US Navy base in Yokosuka, west of Tokyo, on Monday.
The US Navy said the port call is intended to provide the crew with rest and replenish supplies. But observers said it may be part of US efforts to make Yokosuka a hub for nuclear-powered aircraft carriers.
The Nimitz is scheduled to depart Yokosuka, Kanagawa Prefecture, in a few days.
The Nimitz left its home port of San Diego, California, at the end of July on a regularly scheduled deployment to the western Pacific. It is believed to be keeping a watch on
North Korea and engaging in other missions in place of the nuclear-powered aircraft carrier George Washington, based at Yokosuka.
The George Washington is now out of Yokosuka on missions, including participation in a drill in waters near Australia.
Yokosuka is the US Navy`s only home port outside the US mainland for nuclear-powered aircraft carriers with full support facilities for such vessels.
A Japanese government source said Japan and the United States arranged the date for the Nimitz` port call at Yokosuka bearing in mind the anniversaries of the US atomic bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki during World War II on August 6 and 9, respectively, as well as the August 15 anniversary of the end of the Pacific theatre of the war.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- More than 9 lakh people participated in the oath-taking ceremony of Donald Trump
- DNA: Analyzing the harmful effects of selfies
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- 7th Pay Commission: Central govt employees expect Committee on Allowances report in February
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog