US airliner nearly hit drone: FAA
Washington: A US airliner nearly collided with a remotely controlled aircraft as it approached a Florida airport in March, the Federal Aviation Administration has said.
The incident took place on March 22 as a US Airways 50 seat CRJ200 jet flying from Charlotte, North Carolina to Tallahassee, Florida came very close to the drone eight kilometres from the airport.
The drone was a fixed-wing aircraft flying at an altitude of about 700 metres, violating laws saying anyone flying model aircraft need to notify an airport when that near.
The FAA investigated the incident but was unable to find the aircraft or its operator.
Jim Williams, manager of the FAA`s Unmanned Aircraft Systems Integration Office, first revealed the incident in a speech in San Francisco Thursday.
He identified the UAS, or unmanned aircraft systems, as a remote-controlled camouflage aircraft resembling an F-4 Phantom jet.
"The airline pilot said that the UAS was so close to his jet that he was sure he had collided with it."
"The risk for a small UAS to be ingested into a passenger airline engine is very real."
The incident comes as authorities have sought to better control privately-operated unmanned aircraft as businesses and researchers increasingly find uses for them.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing