US allows more basic medical supplies to Iran
Washington: The Obama administration has expanded its list of basic medical supplies authorised for export to Iran, amid tougher sanctions against Tehran over its controversial nuclear programme.
Under an existing general license issued in October 2012, the US Department of the Treasury added to the list a broad range of medical supplies and devices, including electrocardiography machines, electroencephalography machines and dialysis machines, along with other equipment used by hospitals, clinics and medical facilities in Iran.
These items can now be exported without prior approval from the Treasury, Xinhua reported citing a statement.
"Today`s action to expand the general license for the export of medical devices to Iran reflects an important element of our sanctions policy," said David Cohen, under secretary of treasury for terrorism and financial intelligence.
"Even as we continue to implement and enforce our rigorous sanctions regime against Iran, we are committed to safeguarding legitimate humanitarian trade."
The Treasury also issued further clarifying guidance on the sale of food, agricultural commodities, medicine and medical devices to Iran by non-US citizens, exempting from sanctions foreign financial institutions that use funds in Central Bank of Iran accounts in processing the transactions.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- DNA: Inside story of Indian Army's surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read