`US ambassador to India resigned for family commitments`
Washington: Timothy Roemer, American ambassador to India, has resigned from his post due to family reason and nothing else should be read into it, US State Department has said.
"I don`t think you need to look for any behind-the-scenes issues here. I think he was quite transparent in stating his reasons for leaving his post, and those were family reasons," US State Department spokesman Mark Toner said.
Toner was responding to questions about some media reports that Roemer had resigned as India did not select American companies for the multi-billion fighter jets purchase order.
"I believe the Secretary and others have been quite forthcoming in praising his tenure in New Delhi," Toner said, adding no decision has been made yet on the next US ambassador to India.
On April 28, Roemer announced his resignation from the key diplomatic post citing personal commitments. 54-year-old Roemer, a political appointee, was nominated by US President Barack Obama in May 2009 and is expected to leave by June.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- What Yakub Memon did in minutes before being hanged
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet