US and China will together defy history: Hillary Clinton
Washington: The US and China together would "defy history" of clashes between a predominant and rising power, US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton said today, stressing that she is in favour of a healthy rule-based competition between the two countries.
"I have written about this; I`ve spoken about -- is that the United States and China will, together, defy history. Historically, a rising power and a predominant power have had clashes, whether they were economic or military. Neither of us want to see that happen," Clinton said.
"We want to see a rising power like China join the international community as a responsible stakeholder, continue its extraordinary efforts to lift hundreds of millions of people out of poverty, create a strong, vital middle class, have respectful relations with its neighbours in all of the ways, on land and sea, that is required," she said.
Clinton, in response to a question, said she does not think that competition between the United States and China in Asia will lead to both sides losing.
"No, I don`t. I think healthy competition is part of development, human nature. I don`t see any problem with healthy competition, as long as it is rules-based," she said.
"Healthy competition requires that everybody know what the rules are, and then you go out and compete, whether it`s on the sporting field or in the economic or political arena," she added.
The United States, she said, wants to deepen and broaden its engagement with China.
"I helped to put together the Strategic and Economic Dialogues, which we then use to discuss everything, from border security to food safety to cyber matters," Clinton said.
"We want to continue that because we believe strongly that the world is big enough for a lot of nations to be important players, and that is certainly true of China. We want to see the kind of cooperative, comprehensive, positive relationship that I`ve worked for," Clinton said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow