US announces $6.7 bn arms sale to Saudi Arabia
Washington: The Pentagon announced a proposed deal Friday to sell to Saudi Arabia 20 cargo aircraft and five refuelling planes, which is worth $6.7 billion.
The Defense Security Cooperation Agency (DSCA), a Pentagon organ in charge of foreign arms sales, said in a statement that it notified Congress Thursday of the proposed deal to sell to Saudi Arabia 20 C-130J-30 Aircraft and 5 KC-130J Air Refuelling Aircraft, as well as associated equipment, parts, training and logistical support.
"This proposed sale of C-130J-30 and KC-130J assets will contribute to the foreign policy and national security of the United States by helping to improve the security of a friendly country that has been, and continues to be, an important force for political stability and economic progress in the Middle East," the DSCA said, reported Xinhua.
Saudi Arabia needs these aircraft to sustain its aging fleet, which faces increasing obsolescence, as they "will provide a modern configuration, improve reliability and enhance the Royal Saudi Air Force` s ability to effectively field, support, and employ these aircraft", the DSCA added.
It noted, at the same time, that the proposed arms sale "will not alter the basic military balance in the region."
The prime contractors will be Lockheed-Martin in Bethesda, Maryland, General Electric Aviation Systems in Sterling, Virginia, and Rolls Royce Corporation in Indianapolis, Indiana.
US Congress will have 30 days to consider the deal, which will be concluded if no objections are raised.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly